Julio

This post is written for Flash Fiction for Aspiring Writers.

fffawj

“Good Morning, Julio” I said, placing a new pot of flowers along the others. Julio loved his flowers. Almost as much as he used to love to fight the nasty bulls.

Julio nodded his head in acknowledgement. Julio spends his days outdoors now. A least the sunny ones. His mother Juniata moves him inside when it rains.

“Gracias caballeros,” said a female voice from inside.

“It’s very nice that his mother takes care of him,” said Ed. “She never thought he son would ever be in this condition. So sad, don’t you think?”

Every week we bring new flowers to Julio on our way to the market.

“He looks bright this moment, doesn’t he?” said Ed. “Almost like the old days.”

“Yes, he was a grand el torero. He killed the bulls with style. The ladies liked him.” I replied.

“He was a grand looking boy,” said Ed. “Before the last bull gored him.”

“How old do you think he is?”

“Eighteen or nineteen.”

“Seems a shame.”

I think we will find some fresh fruit at the market this morning. The bull fights start at four this afternoon. There is this new boy I want to see. They say he fights the bulls with much style.

7 thoughts on “Julio

1. The Chad September 18, 2017 / 11:12 am

Whoa. You just took me back to The Sun Also Rises. Great Work!

• Danny James September 18, 2017 / 11:40 am

Hemingway was one of my favorite authors. Just finished a bio of him by Mary Dearborn. In addition I went to Cuba earlier this year. The perfect storm produced this little story.

• Danny James September 18, 2017 / 5:41 am

I admit I had to look that up. Sounds like it could be a heck of a ride for some lucky soul. I was recently in France where they have something similar. There a bullfighter tries to grad a ribbon that is tied to the bull’s head and then run like hell to get out of the arena.

• yarnspinnerr September 18, 2017 / 9:04 am

Bull runs are ancient culture and popular. Perhaps it is the thrill factor. However, there sure is a need to make these safer through use of technology or social measures.
        This was an unique take on this prompt. Kudos.

2. Priceless Joy September 17, 2017 / 3:44 pm

So sad that he got into that condition fighting bulls. And now another boy fights Bulls. I wonder what will happen to him? Great story Danny!

• Danny James September 17, 2017 / 4:56 pm

Hopefully better things await the new bull fighter. Thanks for commenting.