Pull The Plug

This post is written for Friday Fictioneers. My story follows the picture prompt.

trg1
PHOTO PROMPT © The Reclining Gentleman

It was an unusually cool spring day in Michigan. Even the daffodils had started to flower. He needed to walk after his conversation with his sister’s doctor. She was in a deep coma.

Born with one kidney now the other one was failing. She had been on home dialysis for the last two years. The doctor had called him in Tucson and he quickly hurried home.  He was the only surviving family member and time was critical.

She had made her wishes very clear. They had even rehearsed this scenario.

“Say it,” she had said.

“Pull the plug,” he responded.

20 thoughts on “Pull The Plug

1. Lori Carlson February 15, 2016 / 6:51 pm

Wonderful story, Danny… it’s never easy to make that decision, but when family makes wishes known for their end, one can only do the right thing and keep those wishes. Enjoyed this 🙂

2. Dale February 15, 2016 / 7:50 am

Having been through it just over a year ago… this is very poignant.

3. Margaret February 15, 2016 / 2:52 am

A gripping story. I like how you used the prompt to move your story into the family situation. The ending works really well – I imagine you would need to rehearse such a decision.

• Danny James February 15, 2016 / 6:39 am

Thanks for commenting. Rehearsal is one thing, going through with it is an entirely different thing.

4. gahlearner February 13, 2016 / 5:00 pm

I’ve been in that situation, too. You described it so well.

5. Sandra February 12, 2016 / 11:58 am

Excellent portrayal of a position we all hope not to find ourselves in.

6. Siobhan McNamara February 11, 2016 / 7:07 pm

Danny, that’s such a tough place to be. There’s a lot to be said for letting your loved ones know your wishes should such a situation arise, and for going so far as to rehearse what needs to be said. A brave story that left a lump in my throat.

7. oldentimes February 11, 2016 / 3:05 pm

I know the wishes of some family members, and I may have to say those words someday. I am also sure that I will have to go for a walk. Thank you for saying it all in just a few words. Excellent post!

8. elmowrites February 11, 2016 / 2:43 pm

Ouch. It must help a little if the person has made her wishes clear, but still an impossible position to be in. Excellently written to leave us guessing, in spite of the title.

9. Sharon Bonin-Pratt February 11, 2016 / 1:48 pm

Such a difficult decision even when the decision was already made. Your story captures the insecurity that makes us struggle. I hope he’s found peace with the words he spoke and joy in the memories of his sister.