It’s Time

This flash fiction story is written for Friday Fictioneers. My little story follows the picture prompt.

crook
PHOTO PROMPT – © Sandra Crook

The decision to move his dad to Hospice care had been the most difficult decision he had ever had to make in his life.

He was seventy years old himself. At least he could take care of his dad he thought. And then the thought crossed his mind that there was no one to take care of him. But he still had time to find an answer to that question.

“What time is it, is that what you said dad?’
A withered finger crept from under the sheets and pointed toward his mouth. “It’s time” he wheezed. “It’s over.”

21 thoughts on “It’s Time

1. Lori Carlson February 25, 2016 / 10:01 pm

So incredibly sad, Danny, but so well executed. Unfortunately we will all succumb to this.

2. patriciaruthsusan February 23, 2016 / 1:46 pm

That’s the way it goes. The most each of us can do is prepare and accept the inevitable. I’ve tried to be close to our children and hope I go first. We shouldn’t wall ourselves off from others. I’ve lost contact with my brother in his 90’s.After his wife died, I suspect he sold his house and moved into a nursing home. Good story from the heart, Danny. —- Suzanne

• Danny James February 19, 2016 / 4:31 pm

A scary thought. Someday it will come. Can’t deny the possibility forever. As much as I would like to.

3. Dale February 19, 2016 / 1:09 pm

So very sad indeed. Too many have no one left to care for them when their time comes…

4. gahlearner February 18, 2016 / 7:40 am

Very sad and moving story. Not having kids or siblings, the SO and I face similar questions. It takes a lot of planning to have the hope for a dignified old age and end.

Liked by 2 people

5. Carolyn Page February 18, 2016 / 1:05 am

A sad reality for many. Hopefully, there will be someone there for him when his time is nigh… 😉