A Sunday Ride

This post is written for Friday Fictioneers. My story follows the picture prompt. Enjoy!

trg1
PHOTO PROMPT © The Reclining Gentleman

From where I lay on the asphalt Chinese Dragon balloons float by. A man stands at my feet with a cell phone in his hand. A glance to my right and I see my bright yellow bike. One of my shoes is still in the pedal. A faint smell of rubber comes from my left. Looking there I see something that reads F78-15. I realized it is the size of an automobile tire.

A lady in black bends over me and says “I have to cut your shorts off Sir.”

“Where am I?”

“In the middle of the road Sir.”

46 thoughts on “A Sunday Ride

1. rochellewisoff February 16, 2016 / 5:32 pm

Dear Danny,

It seems this was our week to share our true stories of survival. Glad you came out on top.

BTW My son was in a car accident once and had to have his shorts cut off. They were a pair with dollar bill material given to him by one of his brothers as a joke.

Shalom,

Rochelle

• Danny James February 16, 2016 / 5:38 pm

My wife had just spent $50 on a new pair of bicycling shorts for me. Never even had to wash them. They quickly became disposable.

2. joseph elon lillie February 16, 2016 / 8:38 am

If he survives I imagine the story of being naked in the middle of the road will be a real party starter.

3. patriciaruthsusan February 16, 2016 / 7:35 am

I never had an accident on a bike but I slid on a rubber mat once in gym class and whacked my head on the sliding doors under the stage. The first thing I noticed were all the little stars floating around. I hope your pelvis healed well. There are a lot of “two-wheeler” accidents here and many still refuse to wear helmets. Unbelieveable. Well-written, Danny. —- Suzanne

• Danny James February 16, 2016 / 10:53 am

Pelvis healed just fine. I always wear a helmet and I can’t understand the people who don’t either.

4. Dale February 14, 2016 / 11:40 pm

Brought me back to a few summers ago when I took a “lovely” crash off my bike and bashed my head. You captured the fuzziness perfectly.

5. liz young February 13, 2016 / 12:41 pm

What a vivid portrayal of your first thoughts after the accident.

• Danny James February 13, 2016 / 3:28 pm

Thanks. The first thoughts were not rational ones.

6. Amy Reese February 11, 2016 / 11:36 pm

How very scary. A great description of that disoriented feeling. I had it once. Not a good feeling.

7. Siobhan McNamara February 11, 2016 / 4:18 pm

Great story. It’s funny how in times of trauma the brain only focusses on small details rather than the whole terrible picture – as much as we can cope with without being overcome by shock. Very nicely captured

8. Björn Rudberg (brudberg) February 11, 2016 / 2:52 pm

For me as a bicyclist this is chilling read… some days it’s so very close. I think that is exactly how it would feel waking up…

• Danny James February 11, 2016 / 4:42 pm

I suffered a broken pelvis. The first thing that came to mind was “this is really going to hurt.” And it did.

9. Sandra February 11, 2016 / 12:48 pm

This has the detached, disorientated feel of a traffic accident victim. Nicely captured.

10. gahlearner February 11, 2016 / 10:09 am

This is fabulous writing, it feels like lying there, shocked and confused. What a horrible experience, I’m glad you’re ok now.

11. draliman February 11, 2016 / 7:29 am

Good description of the state of shock after an accident, noticing all kinds of things without making the connection.

12. Dreamer of Dreams February 10, 2016 / 9:54 pm

That was a stunning piece of writing. Made my heart jump into my throat, especially these lines:
    “One of my shoes is still in the pedal. A faint smell of rubber comes from my left. Looking there I see something that reads F78-15. I realized it is the size of an automobile tire.”

Glad you’re okay now. Stay safe.

13. Joy Pixley February 10, 2016 / 9:29 pm

Wonderful job capturing how weird it is, when you’re in shock, and you notice the oddest things instead of remembering / noticing the actual accident that just happened. And of course, none of them make sense because your brain is so fuddled. Hm, why is my shoe there? Oh that’s nice, Chinese dragon balloons…

14. lillian February 10, 2016 / 5:40 pm

Hits too close to home. Four years ago I was hit, as a pedestrian walking across the street with the light, by a car that came down the hill and went through his red light. Thankfully he was a “good driver.” Odd to say that, right? But he was. He was able to stop when I flew up on the windshield…rather than have a slow reaction on the brake which would have meant not just hitting me, but running over me afterwards. I still jump and come close to panic attacks when I hear loud cars screech, or backfire. Cars are weapons — most people don’t understand that.
    Your story tells it well.

• Danny James February 10, 2016 / 5:42 pm

Wow! What a story. Glad you are ok. BTW..I only ride on bike trails now. Wife’s orders. Smart woman.

15. michael February 10, 2016 / 4:25 pm

I like the way you open this piece, cycling being a very green activity, I despair at how little thought goes into their needs by most transport planners.

16. patrickprinsloo February 10, 2016 / 2:46 pm

A broken pelvis sounds like a nightmare – I’m just recovering from a broken hip – minor stuff – and that’s not the nicest. Hope you found writing this piece cathartic.

• Danny James February 10, 2016 / 2:50 pm

Thanks! I did find some type of release in writing it. It was extremely painful at the time but that’s in the past thank goodness.

17. Danny James February 10, 2016 / 12:16 pm

The story is true. It happened to me. Ended up with a broke pelvis. Three years before I rode again.

• Sharon Bonin-Pratt February 10, 2016 / 12:26 pm

I used to love to ride my bike but was hit by a driver who raced past a stop sign and over a sidewalk, knocked me down and into busy morning traffic. Nothing broken but a torn knee ligament that took nearly two years to heal. I’ve never been able to ride again – I start trembling so much that I can’t keep the bike traveling straight. Keep remembering the front of her car over my head before she stopped. No, she wasn’t cited.
      Very glad you were able ride again, Danny, even if it took 3 years to heal.