Grandma Knows Best

This post is written for Rochelle and her rowdy band of followers at the Friday Fictioneers Club. My little story begins after the picture prompt. For some really interesting stories about this prompt just click on the little blue frog at the bottom of this post.

Cheers….and happy reading.

Begin the Route
PHOTO PROMPT – © Copyright Jean L. Hays

Grandma always had to inspect the motel room before she paid for the nights lodging. “Thirty five dollars for one lousy night! That’s way too much,” she informed  us.

“For God’s sake Edith” my grandfather grumbled. That was my grandfather’s  response to just about everything he didn’t agree with. That’s what he said when he found out  she gave five dollars each week to her church.

The next motel was not clean enough for her. The following was too crowded.

“For God’s sake Edith, the Grand Canyon will be gone by the time we get there.”

24 thoughts on “Grandma Knows Best

1. Suzanne Joshi January 14, 2015 / 1:41 am

Funny story, Danny. 😀 Reality is often better than a created story. It sounds very typical. Well told; you did justice to it. 🙂 — Suzanne

2. sustainabilitea January 10, 2015 / 11:00 am

What a great story, Danny, all the more so for it being real. For years my parents would always ask to see the room before they took it, although it never went on for this long and I don’t remember if we ever left one. Probably at some point, but not usually.

janet

3. siobhanmcnamara January 9, 2015 / 5:26 am

I gather from the comments that these character were your real grandparents (I think!). No wonder they felt so real and lovable. Great portrayal of a relationship between two people who know each other so well.

4. rochellewisoff January 9, 2015 / 5:09 am

Dear Danny,

Does Grandpa’s name happen to be Archie? What fun to travel with these two.

Shalom,

Rochelle

• Oh Danny Boy January 9, 2015 / 9:10 am

I actually had not thought of that. Really! His name was Herman and he was my real grandfather.

• Oh Danny Boy January 9, 2015 / 9:16 am

5. dmmacilroy January 9, 2015 / 5:09 am

And why is it that we never read the signs and leave such relationships? Good story, sir.

Aloha,

Doug

6. Sandra January 9, 2015 / 4:30 am

I got the sense of a happy relationship here, despite Grandma’s picky nature. Nice one.

7. draliman January 9, 2015 / 3:23 am

Aw, bless them! I hope they found a motel eventually that was up to Edith’s exacting standards (and that they made it to the Grand Canyon!).

• Oh Danny Boy January 9, 2015 / 9:19 am

We did. I was along for the ride. Just a small little boy, granted two weeks off from school to go on the trip), in the back seat of a 1963 Buick.

8. pattisj January 8, 2015 / 11:44 pm

Loved the last line. He must have been a hoot.

9. Priceless Joy January 8, 2015 / 9:16 pm

Cute story. Your grandparents must have been (or are) adorable!

10. Margaret January 8, 2015 / 5:45 pm

I feel his frustration. Great dialogue and a fun snapshot of their relationship. I think it’s working, despite the squabbles.