See How Her Garden Grows

This post is written for Friday Fictioneers. The challenge is to write a complete story with a beginning, middle and end in 100 words or less. My story follows the picture prompt below.

PHOTO PROMPT © Sandra Crook

“Sorry for your loss.” He hates that statement. They don’t understand the world he now faces without her. She was always the one that was there for you when you needed her. Where were you when she needed you in her last months? She was always growing, expanding her energies for all the things she held close to her heart. He garden was her escape. A place to escape her crazy world.

She left specific instructions of how she wanted to be remembered. Fine to think she can go on being socially useful even after she’s dead. Making plants grow.

13 thoughts on “See How Her Garden Grows

1. GHLearner July 11, 2021 / 6:05 am

This is sad and beautiful at the same time. We’re not allowed to bury people in our gardens or keep the ashes where I live, all has to go to the cemetary or, as of late, ‘peace forests.’ The thought to become one with one’s beloved spot of the earth is a comfoting one though.

2. Brenda's Thoughts July 10, 2021 / 9:14 am

She left a beautiful legacy of caring. Hopefully, he will learn from her example as he seems to feel guilt at not being there for her. Nicely written, Danny!

3. granonine July 9, 2021 / 1:43 pm

Before modern times, people used to put their dead in a wooden coffin or a wrapping of some sort, and bury them six feet deep, sometimes in their own back yards. It’s still legal to do that here in our area, but there are all kinds of regulations. I’m not so sure our modern regulations would allow for a human body to “push up the daisies,” as people used to say 🙂

• Danny James July 9, 2021 / 1:50 pm

There’s a rumor in my family that there is a body buried in the field behind my grandfather’s home. Also my wife buried a cousin on top of another relative in Vermont a few years ago.

• granonine July 9, 2021 / 2:11 pm

I understand that’s becoming a “thing” when the cemetery is already crowded.

4. James McEwan July 8, 2021 / 3:32 pm

Did she specify which plants she would like to nurture. I always wondered if spreading your ashes or being buried in the garden was a good idea.

• Danny James July 8, 2021 / 4:06 pm

She will be buried in an “eco-friendly mushroom suit” that allows her decaying body to become a part of nature.

5. msjadeli July 8, 2021 / 2:12 pm

Danny, I love the metaphor embedded here. You’ve described a lovely being’s life whatever form it takes. Great story.

6. Keith's Ramblings July 8, 2021 / 11:16 am

A tender tale indeed.
    I watch a lot of crime drama, and some evenings I keep count of the number of times I hear that heartless expression

7. Dale July 7, 2021 / 2:52 pm

I’m not too fond of that expression either, but understand people are often at a loss for words. Thankfully she had someone she could trust to take care of her wishes. Lovely story, Danny.