A Refrigerator in a Tree

This post is written for Friday Fictioneers.

PHOTO PROMPT © Brenda Cox

It was late afternoon Monday June 8, 1953. As we drive to my grandmother’s I remember seeing a refrigerator in a tree. For an seven year old that didn’t make sense. Her street of old two story homes was now what looked like a messy lumber yard.

There were a few people, some walking, some sitting on the ground, with a daze look in their eyes, rummaging among their damaged possessions looking like the walking dead. The amazing thing was that there was total silence. There was no wind. It was a time when the world stood STILL.

Flint, Michigan

22 thoughts on “A Refrigerator in a Tree

1. msjadeli June 29, 2021 / 2:49 pm

Danny didn’t realize you grew up in MI. Surprising I never heard of this devastating event that looks like it wrought havoc across quite an expanse of the region. I can NOT imagine having lived through such a storm, down in the basement listening to what must have been so loud and terrifying. Then, afterwards walk outside and see the wreckage 😦

2. Dale June 28, 2021 / 12:55 pm

What a horrible thing to live through. It must absolutely stay with you forever. I can easily picture the utter silence right after.

• Mason Bushell June 26, 2021 / 5:31 am

I bet they do, ready to pop up everytime you start feeling happy just to drag you down again.

3. James McEwan June 25, 2021 / 5:51 am

A a camping trip, we quickly dismantled our tents and sheltered in an old school building as the storm raged. I wondered if we had made the right choice as the building was too close to the sea for my liking. should have gone up into the hills–– time ran out.

• Danny James June 25, 2021 / 8:57 pm

And my grandfather always told us to huddle in the southwest corner in the basement. Not sure if that was a good idea either.

4. Lorraine June 25, 2021 / 2:50 am

You’ve captured that silence and stillness that seems to permeate the news stories and film footage about tornadoes. Quite the scene for a 7 year old to take in and try to process.

5. Brenda's Thoughts June 24, 2021 / 8:29 pm

The terrifying quiet aftermath of a tornado. I’ve seen a few of these tragic scenes, and you portrayed it well, Danny.

6. lois June 24, 2021 / 4:03 pm

We get so many reports of tornadoes but always to the areas around us. I hope to never have to go through one. And, saying that, I probably jinxed myself. One month of hurricane season down, five to go…..

• Danny James June 24, 2021 / 9:32 pm

Yup! Just the beginning for us Florida folks. From experience====doppler radar can be very very accurate.