It Hurts to Laugh

This post is written for Friday Fictioneers. The challenge is to write a story with a beginning, middle and end in 100 words of less. My story follows the picture prompt below.

I am disturbed at being alone. That wasn’t always the case. Today, as I look upon the devastation before me, I feel like laughing. There’s not much left of this little piece of paradise. The flooding will start in a few hours. A man rarely feels like laughing alone. When people observe you laughing alone they tend to think you are crazy.

There was advanced warning. Hours before I hear, from the TV under the thatched roof of the Tiki bar, the Governor asking us to leave the area and seek shelter.

I laughed at the possibility.

14 thoughts on “It Hurts to Laugh

1. msjadeli May 1, 2021 / 9:57 pm

Maybe he has gone round the bend. There’s only so much a person can take. Good story. Glad you’re back, Danny.

2. ahtdoucette May 1, 2021 / 10:39 am

Oh no! I have nightmares about winding up in such a situation. Well written.

• Danny James May 1, 2021 / 10:13 pm

Thanks! Think we have all shared that experience.

3. James McEwan April 30, 2021 / 2:38 pm

I think we learn quickly that laughing at the natural forces comes back to bite you. Best to laugh along after all the joke is on you.

4. Mason Bushell April 30, 2021 / 10:12 am

Hmm, if you believe the weatherman it never happens. If you don’t you get hammered. Nice story. Danny.

5. GHLearner April 30, 2021 / 7:42 am

I guess he’s not sure whether he laughs or cries. There’s no one left to tell him, I told you so. The title nails it.

6. lois April 29, 2021 / 9:41 pm

Let the hurricane party begin! Good to see you back, DJ.