Behind the Red Door

This post is in response to Friday Fictioneers. The challenge is to write a complete story with a beginning, middle and end in 100 words or less using the picture prompt below.

PHOTO PROMPT © Roger Bultot

I met Sara at the last meeting. I liked her sad story. She is homeless and sleeps on the grassy area under the highway overpass. We mumble “thanks for sharing” and let our minds wander back to our own pathetic world.

When my turn comes I rattle on about my recent good fortune. Faces turn as I describe my new digs. Suddenly Sara shouts that she is tired of sleeping on the streets and asks if I need a roommate. I give her my address.

“How can I find you?” she asks.

“Behind the red door. Number 6,” I reply.

23 thoughts on “Behind the Red Door

1. msjadeli March 7, 2021 / 11:31 pm

If they keep going to the group for support, maybe good times for both are on the horizon. Maybe that good modeling will inspire others. I hope things turn out for them.

2. Brenda's Thoughts March 5, 2021 / 5:44 pm

Hmm, to me there is an air of suspicion about the guy offering help. I fear for Sara, that her life has not gotten better after-all. Nicely written!

3. Girl in Niagara March 5, 2021 / 3:03 pm

A potentially hopeful story, though they may not be the best match for each other. Nicely done. A good take on the prompt.

4. James McEwan March 5, 2021 / 6:08 am

There is an idea that when the tide comes in all the boats rise.
    So if he can share his good fortune and it helps someone to progress in life then that can only be a good thing.
    I know people who sofa surf, it is not a good feeling on both sides
    We all like to help when we can, but there is a limit to being taken advantage of.

5. Na'ama Yehuda March 4, 2021 / 8:28 pm

This may not be ‘by the book’ in the recovery community, but … who knows … maybe it’ll work out.
    One hopes. …

6. oneta hayes March 4, 2021 / 7:45 pm

A logical story sticking closely to the picture theme. I like that. I haven’t decided whether it was a good thing or not. Hopefully sincere and helpful.

7. ahtdoucette March 4, 2021 / 2:58 pm

Creepy! Am I the only one thinking of that Rolling Stones song Painted Black, and also … a considerable number of devil/haunted house stories. A considerable number. I have a really bad feeling here.

8. granonine March 4, 2021 / 11:23 am

I’ve heard that one of the biggest No-NO’s in recovery is getting into a relationship with a fellow sufferer. Maybe he should rethink his invitation.

9. Keith's Ramblings March 4, 2021 / 10:34 am

There are two ways to read this. I’d like to think he was doing the decent thing. But on the other hand…!