The Green Pill

This post is written for Friday Fictioneers. The challenge is to write a short story in 100 words or less with a beginning, middle and end using the picture prompt below.

Looking outside it looks festive, but I can’t really tell from where I stand.

There are twelve of us waiting in line all wearing our white pajamas, hands cuffed in front, to receive our meds from the doctor who is behind a glass partition. He puts two pills inside a small dixie cup. The green one is the magic one. He makes sure you swallow. I have learned to hide the green one under my tongue. I take it before going to bed. It helps me keep what is left of my sanity.

I will get out. Be prepared.

17 thoughts on “The Green Pill

1. michaelwynnauthor November 15, 2020 / 10:53 am

This intrigued me. If he should be out I hope he gets out, but if he’s dangerous I hope he stays. This sparked memories of One Flew over the Cuckoo nest. Well written.

Liked by 2 people

2. James McEwan November 14, 2020 / 1:16 am

Don’t worry, we are prepared. Best stay where you are as there are lots of mad people around these days.

Liked by 2 people

3. Na'ama Yehuda November 13, 2020 / 2:37 pm

Well … if it is better he be out of there, I hope he succeeds .. .if it is better he stay in there, I hope he does not … 😉

Liked by 2 people

4. Dale November 12, 2020 / 11:10 pm

Oh my! If his wits are enough about him to know to keep the green pills for night, maybe there is hope for him!

Liked by 2 people

5. J.A. Prentice November 12, 2020 / 8:00 pm

Great story. I seem to be more sympathetic to your protagonist than other readers. You really put us into their mindset.

Liked by 2 people

6. msjadeli November 11, 2020 / 8:15 pm

Not sure whether to root for him or hope he remains locked up. What a mystery!

7. Iain Kelly November 11, 2020 / 2:52 pm

I think the longer he stays in there the better for the rest of us!

Liked by 2 people

8. ceayr November 11, 2020 / 2:29 pm

Not convinced there is too much sanity left, Danny

Liked by 2 people