UP Early

This post is written for Friday Fictioneers,

ronda-pov

PHOTO PROMPT © Ronda Del Boccio

The alarm on my iPhone sounded the Sherwood Forest theme at exactly 4:30 a.m. I could not afford to hit the snooze button today.

Breakfast from the hotel buffet was going to suffice this morning.

The tour company jeep arrived precisely at 5:00 a.m. We rode silently through the desert floor to our destination. The though that we would be alone on this adventure quickly vanished as a large number of vehicles were already in the staging area.  Balloons were already being filled with liquid propane and the flames were casting their yellow flames skyward. Our fateful journey was about to begin.

21 thoughts on “UP Early

1. msjadeli June 16, 2020 / 11:19 pm

I listened to your alarm tune which says adventure. Something big is at stake in the journey. He was surprised so many other participants also. I think there needs to be a part 2!

2. granonine June 15, 2020 / 9:25 pm

By the way, your name always gives me a smile. My third son is Daniel James 🙂

• granonine June 16, 2020 / 2:38 pm

And I’m assuming “James” is your last name? Our Dan, of course has a different last name. But we often called him “Danny James” or “Danny Jim,” or “DJ.” I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone but you whose given name is just Danny. ;0

• Danny James June 16, 2020 / 3:12 pm

Actually I have three first names in my full name.

Danny Lee James.
          So you can call me:

Danny
          or
          Lee
          or
          James

My mother’s favorite song when I was born was “oh Danny Boy.”

Liked by 2 people

3. Dale June 12, 2020 / 2:53 pm

Funny how one word – fateful – stopped us all in our tracks..

4. pennygadd51 June 11, 2020 / 1:12 pm

This could be a description of a routine tour outing if it weren’t for the single word ‘fateful’. Good hook that turns this into a cliffhanger!

• Danny James June 11, 2020 / 2:01 pm

It was a last minute idea. Glad you caught the hook.

• Danny James June 11, 2020 / 6:53 am

Thanks Iain. It has been a long tine since I have been here. Feels good to be back.

5. Dragon Warrior June 10, 2020 / 11:58 pm

This just sounds so exciting, like the beginning of a great journey. Who are ‘we’? Where are they going? Why?