A Night Out

This post is submitted to Friday Fictioneers.Ā

Total word count 100.

I purchased the storage unit as a temporary place to put my belongings while I moved into my future wife’s house. What I liked most was that it had a lightbulb inside.

It took a week to move everything I had. For the following few weeks I visited for an hour or two just to be myself. My own little furnished room.

It was a little over two months after the wedding I began to spend more time there.

This evening I am reading todays New York Times. I turn the light out at 10 wondering how things could have been.

23 thoughts on “A Night Out

1. loisajay May 15, 2020 / 1:31 pm

DJ–you doing OK? It has been forever!

• Danny James May 15, 2020 / 1:49 pm

No problem here. Just have lost interest at the moment. Reading a lot but not writing. I think about publishing a lot I just haven’t taken any action. Perhaps your nudge will help. How are you doing during this COVID-19 situation? Pretty much been at home here in Ocala. Few trips to the store and an occasional take out order.

Take Care.

BY THE WAY …I’ve a adopted a dog and yet the cats get along with her just fine. Her name is Belle and she is a 5 year old Black Mouth Cur (I had to google that) and just a pleasure to be with. We take long walks and she is just fine on a leash except when she sees a squirrel and rabbit and then it’s game, set and match. She weights 75 pounds and when she sees one of those critters you better hang on.

Danny

• loisajay May 15, 2020 / 2:56 pm

Ha! Good to hear from you, Danny. I retired in February–in the nick of time b/c I would not have done well on Zoom. I had a hard enough time staying ‘alert’ in regular meetings. Zoom would have been a whole nother ballgame. As long as Belle has been accepted by the cats, whew! All is well. I still have my 3 indoor and the 3 outdoor/neighborhood cats. Beaches opened here in the Panhandle and people are nuts. I’m staying home. Glad you are well. I miss my ‘regulars.’ Take care of you and the critters. Lois

2. msjadeli November 22, 2019 / 3:40 pm

There is a fine line between the man cave and the dog house. Nice illustration of it, Danny.

3. Dale November 22, 2019 / 1:19 am

Methinks marriage was not the best choice for him…

4. granonine November 21, 2019 / 12:57 pm

How unutterably sad. It sure didn’t take long for the marriage to fall apart.

5. neilmacdon November 21, 2019 / 4:21 am

As the line says “the love turns frogs into princes, marriage turns them slowly back again”. Nicely done

Liked by 2 people

6. Iain Kelly November 21, 2019 / 3:31 am

Sadly, I quite like the idea of a little man cave to myself, surrounded by my stuff and some peace and quiet!

Liked by 2 people

• Danny James November 21, 2019 / 8:55 pm

I think everyone needs a little time now and then to reflect on life. Thanks Iain.