Who Would Have Thought

This post is written for Friday Fictioneers.

box-office-ted-strutz
PHOTO PROMPT © Ted Strutz

“I don’t feel good about this John.”

“Paul, it’s why we came to the U.S. Remember you said we would never make it playing lunchtime dates at the Cavern. No longer are we going to have our tea and sandwiches and cigarettes on stage, sing a couple of tunes and tell a few jokes. Those days are over mate!”

“But it’s television. We’re just four lads from Liverpool here in New York. They won’t like us I’m sure. Let’s wear our dark suits to impress them. And neck ties. What’s the guys name were meeting?”

“Ed Sullivan”, replied John.

29 thoughts on “Who Would Have Thought

1. tedstrutz July 20, 2019 / 3:21 am

Love it! I think I saw those same boys when I was a kid. On television, in black and white.

2. patriciaruthsusan June 30, 2019 / 7:45 am

Their manager got them a great show for their first appearance on U.S. TV. This is a good piece of historical fiction based on reality, Danny. I liked their work but was too old–being about their age–to be a fan. 🙂 — Suzanne

3. jillyfunnell June 30, 2019 / 4:49 am

Confession time: my favourite band was The Kinks. And they had an interesting time in America! Nice snippet of biography, Danny.

• Danny James June 30, 2019 / 7:17 am

You really got me and Lola are a couple I remember.

4. James McEwan June 29, 2019 / 8:11 am

People may change but music still unites the world. True stories are the best.

5. kzmcb June 29, 2019 / 5:26 am

Oh, very clever. It would have been just like that, I reckon.

6. Margaret June 29, 2019 / 4:54 am

They stepped out in confidence and it paid off. They were very good, and I think they came along at just the right time too. Pop culture, potential of worldwide media exposure – all worked together for them.

7. rochellewisoff June 27, 2019 / 6:38 am

Dear Danny,

John always assured the other three they were going to be the top of the pops. And over half a century later they still are. 😉

Shalom,

Rochelle

8. Sandra June 27, 2019 / 5:47 am

And so it all began. Paul always seemed to be the cocky, confident one.

9. gahlearner June 27, 2019 / 5:07 am

Ah, I wish I could have seen it. I was just a tad too young to join the screaming teenagers. What a great take.

10. Dale June 26, 2019 / 11:44 pm

This was great, Danny! Why wouldn’t they be nervous on their first tv appearance!

• Anonymous June 26, 2019 / 6:33 pm

Worked well in the end.

11. granonine June 26, 2019 / 2:56 pm

I don’t understand that first comment, but I guess I don’t need to.

I do remember the Ed Sullivan show when the Beatles first performed on TV in America. Seems like a lifetime ago.

Wait. For some, it really is!

• Danny James June 26, 2019 / 2:58 pm

Paul McCarthy was just a little nervous on his first U.S. performance.

Thanks for commenting.