Bath Robe in the Window

This post is submitted to Friday Fictioneers.

ce3
PHOTO PROMPT © CEAyr

I park my motorcycle outside Maria’s  small apartment. I thought to myself: you really think she will forgive you?

I had run away. Commitment was not in my vocabulary. I need time to think I told her. “I think you are making a huge mistake,” she had shouted at my departing trail of stones my bike kicked up.

Ten lonely months on the road had convinced me she was right. Time to suck it in and make amends.

Looking up at her widow I see the shadow of a man in a bath robe looking down at me.

32 thoughts on “Bath Robe in the Window

1. Margaret March 9, 2019 / 3:05 am

Ten months is a long time. No wonder he’s been replaced. But I do feel sorry for him – he’s willing to admit he was wrong. Nice story.

• Danny James March 9, 2019 / 6:13 am

He had his opportunity I guess. Hope he learns next time. Thanks for commenting.

2. granonine March 8, 2019 / 4:25 pm

Nice turn there at the end. Serves him right. No one is going to wait for someone who never communicates.

3. 4963andypop March 7, 2019 / 8:08 pm

Pretty good odds it would turn out this way. Ten months is a long time. But after hes done kicking himself, perhaps he’ll think twice before running again.

4. gahlearner March 7, 2019 / 3:05 pm

Let’s hope he learned something for the future. The idea that she sits and waits pining for him still shows how clueless he is.

5. Abhijit Ray March 7, 2019 / 6:31 am

You missed your boat. Time to move on. She certainly has. Men are commitment averse. Nice story.

6. Dale March 6, 2019 / 10:55 pm

There is dreaming and there is dreaming in Technicolor… His chances were slim, at best.
    Well done, Danny!

• Dale March 7, 2019 / 8:04 am

That he did. But he needed to do what he needed to do.

7. theministryofshrawleywalks March 6, 2019 / 4:42 pm

Oh dear, either she’s moved out or moved on, its up to him to find out I guess, however it’d serve him right for buggering off in the first place!

Liked by 2 people

8. inthequiet122 March 6, 2019 / 4:11 pm

Oh no, he’s too late! Well, he will always have the companionship of his motorbike and the open road.

9. pennygadd51 March 6, 2019 / 12:21 pm

You’ve constructed this story nicely, and it plays out remorselessly to its inevitable conclusion. Well done!

Liked by 2 people