The Walnut Tree Killed Him

stumps
PHOTO PROMPT © Rochelle Wisoff-Fields

The sound of the angry buzzsaw could be heard a mile away. The old black walnut tree had graced our horse farm for two generations of the Horton family. Little did we know that once we decided to raise horses, at our daughter’s repeated vocal requests, the tree was doomed.

Hank, our first horse, started to show signs of laminitis. His lower legs began to swell and he was reluctant to move. If we asked him to move he would rock forward and backward and lose his balance.

The black walnut tree killed him.

14 thoughts on “The Walnut Tree Killed Him

1. Dawn M. Miller February 3, 2018 / 5:35 pm

I never knew this. I have a couple of black walnut trees in my yard. But I don’t have any horses, only squirrels!

2. granonine February 3, 2018 / 3:10 pm

Nicely done. I wasn’t sure, at first, if this was sci fi, or fantasy. Then I scanned the comments and learned it’s actually based on fact. Fascinating, unknown to me until now.

• Danny James February 1, 2018 / 8:15 pm

The leaves and acorns of the oak tree are poisonous to cattle, horses, sheep, and goats in large amounts due to the toxin tannic acid, and cause kidney damage and gastroenteritis. Symptoms of poisoning include lack of appetite, depression, constipation, diarrhea (which may contain blood), blood in urine, and colic

3. The Urban Spaceman February 1, 2018 / 8:55 am

Methinks the Hortons should switch to rearing sheep. They’d be a little less particular about their trees. Nice tale!

• Danny James February 1, 2018 / 8:16 pm

Me thinks you are correct. Thanks for commenting.

4. Dale February 1, 2018 / 8:41 am

Such a sad story!
    (just thought you’d like to know you are missing your “d” on heard… )