Now The Spiders Have Started To Take Over

This post is submitted to Rochelle Wisoff-Fields Friday Fictioneers challenge.

sarahs-spider-web-potter
PHOTO PROMPT © Victor and Sarah Potter

Now the spiders have started to take over. The potted flowers have also begun their decay. I have never dusted since that day.

Just after dark I turn on the lights in her room. I bring her a small glass of wine. I turn on the television to a program that she watched almost every night.

I come back in an hour and turn the television off and open the book she is currently reading.

I return to the kitchen and wash and dry the dishes I have used to prepare my dinner.

She never eats. She never complains.

18 thoughts on “Now The Spiders Have Started To Take Over

1. patriciaruthsusan January 17, 2018 / 4:07 am

This sounds like one of those stories where the body is a mummy and still there. He seems to have lost his mind when she died. They must have been a solitary couple for no one to notice. Good horror story writing, Danny. —- Suzanne

2. Dan Bohn January 14, 2018 / 7:45 am

Sounds like a day in the life at The Bates motel. Great read. Thanks

3. Susan A Eames January 11, 2018 / 12:49 pm

At first I thought she was perhaps a lady suffering from dementia, but if she never eats or complains I suppose she must be dead, which makes this tale chilling rather than sad.

Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

• Danny James January 11, 2018 / 2:49 pm

I wrote it as if she were dead. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Danny

4. Iain Kelly January 11, 2018 / 4:02 am

Touching and at the same time something slightly sinister about his sticking to the routine.

5. anuragbakhshi January 11, 2018 / 1:28 am

So touching and poignant. By the way, loved the picture of the library. Something so cozy about it.

6. dalckl40@myfairpoint.net January 10, 2018 / 8:10 pm

Very neat picture!!  Like the story too.

• Danny James January 10, 2018 / 8:16 pm

Well hello there! Thanks for the nice comment and stopping by.

Danny