First Time Ever

This post is written for Sunday Photo Fiction. My story follows the picture prompt. Enjoy!

122-09-september-20th-2015

I remember the first time I saw Sara. I was in the 7th grade and it was lunch period. I ran across the street with some of my buddies to take a peek at the new model Chevrolets that were parked across the street under canvas coverings on a car carrier. The car makers at that time changed the looks of the new models in the fall and shipped the first few under coverings to the show rooms. I soon fell in love with a 1957 Chevrolet. On that day I also fell in love with Sara.

I looked back and saw her and one of her girlfriends looking at the “stupid boys” as she would later relate. There was something special about her, something I can’t explain even until this day, that made me suddenly realize there might be something more important than new cars.

It took me also a full month before I could even find the courage to talk to her without appearing like an idiot.

A memory that I still cherish to this day. Fifty seven years later. Fifty one of them as my wife.  And two years after her death.

17 thoughts on “First Time Ever

1. Priceless Joy September 23, 2015 / 11:43 am

Such a sweet story of love blossoming and a sad ending with her death. Such is life.

2. Lyn September 21, 2015 / 4:06 pm

That was beautiful, Danny. A perfect memory of love that blossomed and continued to bloom.

3. misskzebra September 21, 2015 / 3:56 pm

A very touching story, and one that many can relate to.

One thing, I just don’t feel like that last sentence needs to be separate, or it needs to be rephrased a little bit. As it is, it feels a little rushed.

• Danny James September 21, 2015 / 6:07 pm

You are probably right. I played around with it and was never very comfortable with it myself. Thanks for commenting.

4. Joy Pixley September 21, 2015 / 12:07 pm

So touching, and what a wonderful expression of that moment when everything changes — “made me suddenly realize there might be something more important than new cars” — that’s just so perfect.

5. Sharon Bonin-Pratt September 21, 2015 / 11:43 am

Danny, in a very few words you’ve let us see how much you loved Sara. Master wordsmithing here.

6. nonnaci September 21, 2015 / 8:45 am

Touching. A lifetime with one partner grows rarer by the day.

7. Oh, the Places We See September 21, 2015 / 7:43 am

What a beautiful memory and tribute, too. You’re fortunate to have someone love you for so many years, but I’m sorry for you that she’s gone.