Friday Fictioneers — On Strike

This post was written for the Friday Fictioneers based on the prompt below.

Copyright -Claire Fuller
Copyright -Claire Fuller

“Your father is in there Tony. They are on strike against the company. The local diner across the street is providing their meals free of charge. And they have elected their own mayor and police to maintain order. Any person who breaks the rules will be given a trial and punishments ranging  from washing dishes to being expelled from the plant. Just like a little city. Look, see the man with the busy eyebrows? He’s the company’s leader. He’s meeting with your father now.”

up against the man

down for right now but not out

brighter tomorrow

Word count 99

22 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers — On Strike

• Danny James February 3, 2014 / 3:14 pm

Thanks for the nice complement. Based on a sit down strike by union workers against General Motors in 1936. My grandfather worked there.

1. rochellewisoff February 1, 2014 / 5:22 pm

Dear Danny,

Well done bit of historical fiction. I love your background and am now imagining your grandmother tossing food through the windows. Good one.

Shalom,

Rochelle

• Danny James February 1, 2014 / 10:50 pm

True story. 1936 sit down strike in Flint, Mi.

• Danny James February 1, 2014 / 11:00 am

Thanks for the link. It was very interesting. And thanks for your kind comment.

2. The Good News January 31, 2014 / 10:23 pm

Awesome story telling. Reading about your inspiration for it made it even more special.

• Danny James January 31, 2014 / 10:26 pm

Thanks for commenting.

3. sustainabilitea January 31, 2014 / 10:19 am

Nice use of real life, Danny. This type of story was on more minds than just yours, but I like that yours is true. One small thing…” companies leader” should be “company’s leader.” 🙂

janet

4. patriciaruthsusan January 31, 2014 / 8:36 am

I enjoyed the story. Well done. It looks like a happy ending is on the horizon.

5. draliman January 31, 2014 / 6:23 am

That is one organised strike. I’m thinking it’s a big faceless company which is treating their workers very badly so the workers have started their own little mini-government.
    And since the company’s leader is there, it seems to be working!

• Danny James January 31, 2014 / 8:45 am

Yup! Story based on GM strike in 1936 & 1937. My Grandfather worked there and my Grandmother threw food through the windows to help keep them alive.

6. Sandra January 31, 2014 / 3:53 am

Nice note of optimism there… nicely done.

• Danny James January 31, 2014 / 8:45 am

Thanks. Based on 1936 strike in my home town against GM.