Doomed

This post is written for Friday Fictioneers.

We had been warned. Clouds of ash and noxious gases filled the view from my room. Famine was spreading throughout the world wiping out 16% of the population. A constant fog hung over all of Europe and the greater part of the United States. It was the coldest, snowiest winter on record here in Michigan.

The cry of my new born son reached me from the far bedroom. He didn’t know he was doomed. I knew what I had to do. He didn’t have a choice. I did.

28 thoughts on “Doomed

1. DIYwriting November 12, 2022 / 5:58 pm

I wonder who the culprit is? The enemy?

2. msjadeli November 11, 2022 / 3:47 pm

Your story has a truly haunting aspect to it. May that day never come where youngsters are euthanized because the alternative is worse 😦

• Dahlia November 11, 2022 / 11:26 am

Err yes. In my defense I did go back to check before posting my comment and she did appear to be a she. But you do know best

3. Bill November 10, 2022 / 11:00 am

Seems like a dystopian introduction to a larger and longer story. Well done, Danny.

4. granonine November 9, 2022 / 10:10 pm

Bleak, Danny. Well written, powerful emotion especially in that last line.

5. James McEwan November 9, 2022 / 2:44 pm

You describe our future as a dystopian doomsday scenario. The greatest fear for humankind’s loss is not climate change it is the madmen who pull the carpet from under our feet.

6. Liz Young November 9, 2022 / 11:32 am

Only 16% leaves then an 84% chance of survival, and now he has another life to cherish.

7. Iain Kelly November 9, 2022 / 10:33 am

I hope his choice is to fight for both their futures? It’s hard now to see what else needs to happen to convince the doubters to act for the generations to come.