Buried Treasure

This post is submitted to Friday Fictioneers. The challenge is to write a story with a beginning, middle and end in 100 words or less using the picture prompt below.

PHOTO PROMPT © Ted Strutz

My grandmother kept a meticulous record of every family member in her large white bible. Each child’s birthday was recorded in her beautiful handwriting. She lived long enough to record some of their deaths.

Near her death I was sitting beside her as she remembered each one with a special story.

I noticed one entry labeled James that had the same birth and death date. I asked my grandmother about it.

“That was your uncle Jim,” she said crying.

I never knew I had an uncle. “What happened to him,” I asked.

“Your father buried him in the backyard.”

21 thoughts on “Buried Treasure

1. Christine Goodnough August 30, 2020 / 1:53 pm

Intriguing tale! Children don’t understand life & death and what the consequences of their actions may be. I picture a little boy, jealous of the attention the new baby’s getting, thinking, “It’s gotta go!”

2. Dale August 25, 2020 / 12:12 am

So many family stories remain hidden. Sad, really.

3. subroto August 23, 2020 / 10:57 pm

Sad and poignant story. Seems there is more to it than what grandma is revealing.

• Danny James August 24, 2020 / 10:15 am

Indeed. But the my family did not want to talk about that.

• Danny James August 24, 2020 / 10:14 am

So did I. “we don’t talk about that” was the response I received as an 11 year old. Today I would be more forceful.

4. Bill August 22, 2020 / 4:26 pm

Indeed a family story of interest. Reminds me of one my father told about a half brother none of us knew about. Well done.

5. msjadeli August 22, 2020 / 4:03 pm

I’m glad events unfolded where he was led to ask the question and she was ready to give the answer. Are you named after that uncle, Danny?

6. Dora August 21, 2020 / 4:04 pm

It’s sad that sometimes you don’t learn the sorrows of people close to you until much later in life.

7. Sandra Conner August 21, 2020 / 8:57 am

Well done. Sad, but back when this house would have been new, there were things like that happening more often than a lot of people want to remember.
    By the way, I love your header photo.

• Danny James August 21, 2020 / 12:06 pm

Thanks for commenting. I agree it happened more than most people realize.

8. rochellewisoff August 21, 2020 / 7:18 am

Dear Danny,

Oooh, there’s a more story behind little Uncle Jim. Subtle and intriguing. It feels like the intro to a larger story.

Shalom,

Rochelle

9. James McEwan August 21, 2020 / 4:38 am

Absolutely fantastic. The poor woman has kept this secret to her last breath.

10. siobhan1967 August 20, 2020 / 7:20 pm

I wonder what happened to poor old Jim in the first place – did his brother have something to do with it? Good story.

11. Sandra August 20, 2020 / 6:28 am

The things we don’t find out until it’s too late. Nicely done.

12. Iain Kelly August 20, 2020 / 5:48 am

And with her passing the final memory of James will die too. Sad story, but true to life. Nice one Danny.