Norma Jeane

This post is submitted to Friday Fictioneers. The challenge is to write a complete story with a beginning, middle and end in 100 words or less. My story follows the picture prompt below.

PHOTO PROMPT -Copyright-Rochelle Wisoff-Fields

Before she was an orphan she was just a normal little girl. She hated the orphanage. Every day was the same. She felt robbed, vulnerable, and utterly alone, even abandoned.

“Get up Norma Jeane,” Sister Mary said. “Breakfast is at 7 in the main dining room and your first class is at seven forty-five.”

“Someday I’ll leave here and become a famous movie star. I’ll live in Hollywood in a big mansion with a famous husband. You just wait and see.”

“You have great dreams Norma Jeane but they will vanish just like a candle in the wind.”

Like a candle in the wind.

17 thoughts on “Norma Jeane

1. msjadeli August 14, 2020 / 3:51 pm

Knowing she grew up in an orphanage, it makes more sense how she lived and how she died. An unsophisticated, damaged individual would be eaten alive in the circles she played in. Nicely done, Danny, and I like you putting “Candle in the Wind” into your story.

2. Bill August 13, 2020 / 3:58 pm

Awesome story you told so well. Reminded me of the conditions my mother grew up in.

3. James McEwan August 13, 2020 / 3:32 pm

A greek tragedy for our times. Loneliness arises when people love you for what you are, rather than who you are.

4. Nobbinmaug August 13, 2020 / 3:21 pm

Two famous husbands (and a police officer) even. I didn’t know Marylin Monroe lived in an orphanage. That is interesting. She showed them, didn’t she?

5. granonine August 13, 2020 / 11:30 am

I think I was about 8 or 9 when Marilyn became the newest Hollywood sensation. I remember well all the fuss and feathers about her beauty, although I don’t remember much said about the quality of her acting. What amuses me now is that she would be considered about 20 pounds overweight by today’s standards, yet she WAS the standard of beauty back then.

6. MythRider August 13, 2020 / 1:01 am

I like your header photo. It is a library? Or a book store?

7. Iain Kelly August 12, 2020 / 6:01 pm

A tragic life, but at the same time she achieved so much and still touches so many lives.

• granonine August 13, 2020 / 11:31 am

I thought “Candle in the Wind” was written in honor of Princess Diana? Or did Elton John just choose to sing it for her?

• Danny James August 13, 2020 / 1:34 pm

You are correct. I was comparing wonderful ladies who passed way too young.

• Danny James August 13, 2020 / 1:47 pm

Let me clarify. Elton wrote the song in memory of Marilyn Monroe. He changed the name from “Norma Jeane” to “England’s Rose” at Princess Diana’s funeral.