Quarantined

This post is submitted to Friday Fictioneers.

the-view
PHOTO PROMPT © Rochelle Wisoff-Fields

It wasn’t the way things were supposed to work out. The promise of having friends and family visit was one of the main selling points in moving into assisted living. The ability to maintain contacts would keep him from going insane.

Now it’s just the staff. The same old staff now wearing masks. What the hell has happened. They say the most terrible legal sentence to impose on someone was solitary confinement.

Far beyond the window, at the edge of some tall willows and behind the gate, he can see his granddaughter. Even from here he can see her crying.

31 thoughts on “Quarantined

1. Mike June 21, 2020 / 7:50 am

This is flash at its best. Telling life as it is. Some of those in care need family as advocates.

2. Brenda's Thoughts June 19, 2020 / 12:56 pm

I felt a lump in my throat. Your story is a true and very sad reminder of what others are suffering right now. Those who are isolated and alone.

3. James McEwan June 19, 2020 / 5:09 am

I have noticed, some people follow the given rules and there are those who find ways around them. I might get to see my daughter this weekend.

4. ceayr June 18, 2020 / 3:47 pm

As I just said elsewhere, this is today’s world in a nutshell.
    I have already missed my annual spring visit to Scotland and then my grandson’s birthday.
    Isolation wears different coats.

5. theministryofshrawleywalks June 18, 2020 / 1:53 am

Well you’ve nailed that one. I haven’t seen my elderly folks for 3 months, and am sick of shouty phone calls due to their deafness. I wonder when me and my kids will be able to see them, they are home alone, with only neighbours for company, which thankfully they are keeping. I’m considering asking them if they’d like to move over towards us and the kids. But they’re stubborn, I know what the answer will be …

6. Na'ama Yehuda June 17, 2020 / 7:59 pm

This is such a sad reality, and in the US, amplified by the chronic lack of PPE’s which did not allow even the consideration of allowing visitors. Not when the precious PPE’s are required for the staff to be able to offer basic care to the residents. What I understand less is the isolating WITHIN the nursing homes, of residents from each other. They are effectively quaranteened already, the way family who live in the same home does. Why not let them be with each other? Oy, these are tough times.

7. msjadeli June 17, 2020 / 5:03 pm

It’s been a hardship in so many ways 😦 The image of the little granddaughter crying just jumps out in your story.

8. Dale June 17, 2020 / 2:46 pm

This is such a reality right now… Heartbreaking – all over the world

9. Gabriella June 17, 2020 / 11:36 am

This is unfortunately very relevant. I am glad I am not one of the people who had to make this kind of decision. A very poignant story!

10. Oh, the Places We See June 17, 2020 / 11:31 am

This is truly sad, but so very real. Thanks for reminding me to contact some people I know who may be alone in their own homes and wishing they could hear from anyone.

• Danny James June 17, 2020 / 1:34 pm

Someday we will find ourselves in that position. Hopefully with a better understanding and perspective.

11. Iain Kelly June 17, 2020 / 10:49 am

A sad take Danny. The deaths in care homes caused by this pandemic has been terrible. The emotional scars will take a long time to heel for many who have lost loved ones.

• Danny James June 17, 2020 / 10:55 am

I volunteer for an animal league and my dog is an “doggie diplomat” and we used to spend every Friday with folks in one of our local assisted living places. We can no longer make our visits. I have heard that they miss our weekly visits.