Some Assembly Required

This post is submitted to Friday Fictioneers.

demolished-purple-tent
PHOTO PROMPT © Jan Wayne Fields

“It’s a bargain,” she said.

“I like the floor model” I replied.

“We have gone to five stores and looked at every model available. Let’s buy this one and be done with it. The kids can help and put it together. It shouldn’t take more than an hour to have it up.”

“We’ve been married twenty-eight years Marge and you should know that anything that requires putting part a into part b is a challenge for me. On my headstone I know what it will say.”

“ Some assembly required?”

“Yup!”

27 thoughts on “Some Assembly Required

1. Liz Young August 17, 2019 / 7:12 am

Putting it up wouldn’t be too difficult, but folding it away again? No thanks!

2. 4963andypop August 16, 2019 / 11:52 am

Very authentic dialog. Personally i’d prefer the tent you can pull out of thebag and it popsup by itself

3. Rowena August 16, 2019 / 11:46 am

Enjoyed reading this and loved the epitaph too, Danny. That’s very clever and I appreciate how you can laugh at yourself. My mother’s tombstone could well have “always 20 minutes late” written on it but she’d burn me at the stake for that one. I’m hoping my tombstone doesn’t say…”She never finished the book”. Ouch. That would hurt.
    The comments on this piece have also been good. Seems DIY is a popular topic.
    In our household, my husband is the fixer and the rest of us are wreckers. Drives him nuts. He’s also a measure twice cut once person and our son who he does a lot of work with around the house is a cut without checking you’re cutting the right object type of guy. There have been some almighty clashes. Makes me feel like heading for the hills.
    Best wishes,
    Rowena

4. Nan Falkner August 15, 2019 / 11:28 pm

Funny tale – enjoyable. There is always a missing part which keeps the job of assembly a touchy subject. Cute story!

Liked by 2 people

5. bearmkwa August 15, 2019 / 2:52 pm

Some got it, some don’t. We each have our own gifts… assembly is definitely a gift.

Liked by 2 people

6. James McEwan August 15, 2019 / 2:25 pm

Usually you start by saying, ‘Yes, leave it to me I know how it goes together.’ Then later you search for those cryptic instructions. So true.
    Perhaps there should be a note in the coffin – instructions in top left pocket.

Liked by 2 people

7. patriciaruthsusan August 15, 2019 / 7:19 am

A cute story, Danny. Yes, some people are not good at assembling. Great dialogue. 😀 — Suzanne

8. Abhijit Ray August 15, 2019 / 6:51 am

A wise decision. Not everyone is adept at joining things together and erecting the intended structure. I speak from experience.

• Rowena August 16, 2019 / 11:39 am

Stay away from Ikea, Keith! I ran out of words but I’d wanted to mention that putting up the tent was like trying to assemble an Ikea flatpack. Torture itself.

9. Iain Kelly August 14, 2019 / 7:12 am

At least he is honest enough to admit it – most men do not! Good fun read 🙂

Liked by 2 people