A Guy, his mom, and his goat.

This post is written for Friday Fictioneers. Friday Fictioneers, hosted by Rochelle Wisoff-Fields, tasked us to write a complete story (Beginning, Middle, and End) based on the photo prompt provided in 100 words or less. My story follows the picture prompt. Other stories can be found by clicking here.

goats_and_graves_3_randy_mazie
PHOTO PROMPT © Randy Mazie

“Are you hungry mister,” my wife asks as she rolls down the car window.

“John David Thomas” the figure in the old faded Army fatigues with crutches across his body slurs. “Yes Miss I am.”

“Here’s some food we have left over from dinner at Harry’s”, Carole says.

“Bless you.”

“Are you homeless,” my wife asks.

“I live down by the cemetery with my old mother and my goat,” he mumbles.

As we leave he continues “You have an extra three dollars you can spare. Liquor store is just down there. Hey! What’s in this bag anyway.

(99 words)

11 thoughts on “A Guy, his mom, and his goat.

1. lisarey1990 December 31, 2018 / 3:57 pm

I have experienced similar situations. It is very authentic of some exchanges. Great write!

2. Dale December 28, 2018 / 3:56 pm

Better to leave him food than money for drink. Though I’m sure he’d have preferred the latter.

3. rochellewisoff December 28, 2018 / 8:22 am

Dear Danny,

Sounds like there’s a reason this man’s homeless. Although if this woman really wanted to help, she wouldn’t have handed him a bag full of leftovers. Just saying. Good one.

Shalom,

Rochelle

4. Abhijit Ray December 28, 2018 / 5:43 am

If getting a nice dinner, why not a little drink to wash it down. I see no difficulty.

• Danny James December 28, 2018 / 6:24 am

I’m afraid that might have got him there in the first place.

• Abhijit Ray December 28, 2018 / 6:43 am

Old habits are hard to get over.