Stay a Little While

This post is written for Friday Fictioneers

adamickes-childsboots
Copyright – Adam Ickes

I was always running. Running away from what I could not explain. When relationships became too encumbering I vanished. Careers were suddenly torpedoed from an unknown fear. My family gave up on me. Always starting over. Nothing ever lasted. No future, just memories.

A memory I banished from my time with her surfaces: We stood on her front step after our first kiss, and she waited for me to respond. I wanted to tell her how I felt.

This time will be different I say to myself.

“This time take off your shoes and stay a while,” she said.

30 thoughts on “Stay a Little While

1. Anshu Bhojnagarwala December 24, 2018 / 1:09 am

Hope he listens to her – running away is easier, but staying back is much more fruitful. Good story!

2. rochellewisoff December 22, 2018 / 8:32 am

Dear Danny,

I like that this ended on a hopeful note. Nicely done.

Shalom,

Rochelle

3. Dale December 21, 2018 / 4:31 pm

Sounds like this time it will be different…

4. granonine December 21, 2018 / 12:30 pm

All sorts of psychological diagnoses run through my mind. However, that would ruin this very poignant story, so I’ll leave my counselor hat in the closet πŸ™‚ You’ve done a fine job of showing us this man clearly.

5. michael1148humphris December 21, 2018 / 12:22 pm

It takes all sorts to build society, but I hope that this is his time to settle down

6. James McEwan December 21, 2018 / 9:21 am

So much of real life in this, failed expectations and decisions of self-destruction. Let’s hope it works this time. A good story that observes the follies of life.

7. jillyfunnell December 21, 2018 / 4:00 am

It does sound as if she understands his restlessness. Some people just don’t ever turn into settlers.

8. Abhijit Ray December 21, 2018 / 2:53 am

Taking off his shoes will certainly slow him down.

9. Kislaya December 21, 2018 / 2:23 am

Hi Danny, A very poignant piece. I wish she would have stayed with him forever!
    But as you said – ‘Nothing ever lasts’ – it is very philosophical if one ponders…as in this world everything is ephemeral.