Terror in the Synagogue

This post is written for Friday Fictioneers.

js-brand-tree
PHOTO PROMPT © J.S. Brand

His carving could wait. Irving was late for service. Entering the parking lot he heard gunshots.

Rushing into the building he saw David and Cecil face down inside the entrance. The brothers were always first to meet worshipers when they arrived. Twenty feet in front of the brothers was Rosie. “Rosie, Rosie, 97 years young sure to make 101” was the familiar chant that we sang to her. This can’t be happening. To his right were Bernice and Sylvan. They were married in this same synagogue 60 years ago.

Another shot rang out. Irvin never heard it.

21 thoughts on “Terror in the Synagogue

1. michael1148humphris November 13, 2018 / 6:36 pm

Sadly such evil events leave me feeling grim about the future. But then I think of all the people in the world who do good deeds.

2. Brenda's Thoughts November 11, 2018 / 5:56 am

Such a horribly sad tragedy, I can’t express it fully in words. I’m with you when you asked above, “When will it end?”

3. jillyfunnell November 11, 2018 / 4:30 am

I almost couldn’t press the “Like” button but I did, purely in appreciation of your bravery in pulling out the agonisingly threads of human detail connected to this horrific event.

• Danny James November 11, 2018 / 6:27 am

I know the feeling when you like a tragic story. Hard to “like” it if it’s a story about needless death. Thanks for stopping by.

4. Dale November 10, 2018 / 9:45 pm

Beautifully done, Danny. It’s funny, a friend of mine wrote something, giving each of the victims a story…

5. granonine November 10, 2018 / 1:08 pm

You made an horrible event at the opposite end of my state seem even more real. People died. Real, live people who loved and were loved. Well done.

6. Abhijit Ray November 9, 2018 / 3:08 am

Some one is in killing spree in the synagogue.

7. Iain Kelly November 7, 2018 / 4:41 pm

Well done on tackling such a horrific event. I wouldn’t know where to start.