Harmful To Your Health

This post is written for Friday Fictioneers.

jhc-2
PHOTO PROMPT © J Hardy Carroll

All I could hear was the low hissing of a machine. My breathing wasn’t my own. The machine on my right was making me breath. I could see the triangle shape of plastic that cover my nose was beginning to fog.

A painful look down revealed jelly coated gauze wrapped over my arms and legs.

Then suddenly a machine I hadn’t noticed began to scream with loud sirens. On this machine were graphs that were making a zig zag pattern on the screen.

At that moment one of the screens went flat.

Yet another reason to quit smoking, Jimmy.

28 thoughts on “Harmful To Your Health

1. patriciaruthsusan November 22, 2017 / 2:33 am

My dad worked on fires where people were smoking and fell asleep. They often don’t survive to make it to the hospital. Good story and writing, Danny. —- Suzanne

2. rachelmalik99 November 19, 2017 / 4:39 am

I really like how strange he looks to himself and then the familiar refrain (I used to smoke and it was so hard to give up!).

• Danny James November 19, 2017 / 6:19 am

Yup! Gave it up myself on April 15th 1977.

3. Moon November 17, 2017 / 12:35 pm

A nice take on the prompt and a great message.

4. Dale November 17, 2017 / 12:11 pm

Oh man… to see yourself like that… awful
    (You might want to change the first “here” to “hear” 😉 )

• Danny James November 17, 2017 / 3:06 pm

Done. You can read something ten times and not catch something so obvious. Thanks for the catch.

• Dale November 17, 2017 / 9:05 pm

I feel you – that’s what we do for each other…

5. Susie Clevenger (@wingsobutterfly) November 16, 2017 / 11:55 am

Once burned twice smoked. I never smoked, but I have watched others and know how difficult it is to stop. Disoriented, fearful, noises that signal doom, a very scary scenario.

6. draliman November 16, 2017 / 3:37 am

The old “fall asleep with a lit cigarette” scenario. Nice last line.

7. granonine November 15, 2017 / 7:52 pm

Really effective story, well told.

If I may, just a small grammatical change would improve the last line. You need a comma after “smoking.” Otherwise, it seems as if the person is smoking Jimmy, which is actually pretty unusual 🙂

8. Iain Kelly November 15, 2017 / 10:09 am

It amazes me that anyone does smoke these days. Too late for Jimmy.

9. Irene Waters 19 Writer Memoirist November 15, 2017 / 7:28 am

I think you got the confusion of coming to with hospital noises around you and yet not knowing why you are there. Even more frightening to have one of the machines flatline. Lets hope it was just a lead falling off. Nice twist at the end.

Liked by 2 people