The Begger

This post is written for Friday Fictioneers.

old-shoes-cobwebs
PHOTO PROMPT © Sarah Potter

Back at the rehab facility, the night clerk was sitting behind her desk. She buzzed me in.

I took off my shoes and lay down on the bed. I put down my hand penciled sign. I was exhausted after my three-mile walk. I counted the money I had collected that day: forty-two dollars and 15 cents.

I am allowed to beg in front of the store three days a week: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from nine a.m. until two p.m.

Most people ignore me. Some throw coins. One lady today asked me I she could get me something.

“Milk,” I said.

21 thoughts on “The Begger

1. granonine September 25, 2017 / 12:13 pm

He’s in a rehab. Milk, not alcohol. This is a very well-drawn portrait of the struggle.

2. Life Lessons of a Dog Lover September 22, 2017 / 3:59 pm

This really tugged at the heartstrings. His request for milk made me wonder how old he is. Very touching take on the prompt.

• Danny James September 22, 2017 / 4:21 pm

Never asked but I would guess around 30-35. Thanks for stopping by.

DK

3. Alicia Jamtaas September 21, 2017 / 5:57 pm

Danny, this really pulled at my heartstrings. The way you walked us through the day and finished with a simple request. I think this is one of your best.

4. Moon September 21, 2017 / 5:15 am

A great and very well written take .

5. loisajay September 20, 2017 / 8:56 pm

How timely this is, DJ. We were downtown this afternoon and got caught at a red light. A panhandler got up, showed us his sign and waved to us, making the sign for smoking a cigarette. What?! He wants money for smokes? The light turned green….