Mackinaw Island

This post is written for Friday Fictioneers.

PHOTO PROMPT © Ted Strutz

Sometimes we waited in line for over four hours to get our car on the boat to take us to the island. The old Chevrolet needed the rest.

Chocolate, horse carts with poop bags hanging from their behinds, and of course the Grand Hotel were the soul of the island. The smell of the island followed you as you walked the city streets.

We never stayed at the Grand. Dad always knew when the last ferry left the island for the mainland. He said one day there would be a bridge to replace the ferries.

34 thoughts on “Mackinaw Island

1. Michael Wynn June 23, 2017 / 9:37 am

Very evocative of an age and the age of childhood, I think you’ve captured so much in these few words. Nice one

2. Rowena June 23, 2017 / 3:06 am

I also had to Google the island. A four hour wait certainly takes me to a different era. Your flash had a lovely reflective tone to it of days gone by. Well done.
    xx Rowena

• Danny James June 23, 2017 / 5:36 am

Thanks for the kind words and for stopping by.

3. mikealixonline June 23, 2017 / 12:46 am

In paragraph three I don’t understand what the first sentence has do with the second sentence. Do you mean that you didn’t stay at the hotel so you needed to take the last ferry back?

• Danny James June 23, 2017 / 5:37 am

Yes we loved the hotel but we could not afford to say there. Mostly for the very rich at that time.

4. Christine Goodnough June 22, 2017 / 8:17 pm

Enjoyed this. And your Dad was right. That bridge is quite the feat of engineering, too.
    Thanks for jogging the old memory cells.😊

5. Sascha Darlington June 21, 2017 / 11:20 pm

This has a wonderful nostalgic feel to it. I’m afraid I had to look to see where Mackinaw Island was. Well done!

• Danny James June 22, 2017 / 6:32 am

Now you need to visit. Stay a few days in the U.P. So you don’t have to look that up it stands for the Upper Peninsula. At one time the U.P. wanted to become a state by itself.

🙂 and thanks for stopping by.

6. James June 21, 2017 / 7:58 pm

That literally happens in my wee tale, but in a very strange way.

7. Life Lessons of a Dog Lover June 21, 2017 / 7:19 pm

Oh I hope not. Loved the reminiscent feel and positive approach to the prompt.

8. michael1148humphris June 21, 2017 / 4:20 pm

For me this story allowed me to see islands all over the world, thank you.

9. Adam Ickes June 21, 2017 / 3:53 pm

I’m not sure I’d wait in line for four hours for anything. But maybe I’m just in too much of a rush most of the time.

10. jellico84 June 21, 2017 / 8:35 am

Reminds me of my childhood driving to Kentucky from Ohio back when the Brent Spence Bridge was still a toll bridge. We always crossed the river by a little wooden decked ferry – 1 car at a time. You had to stay in the car because there were no railings and no room to get out. The rule, rain, snow, or shine, windows had to be down… I assume because of the precariousness of the transport. Ahhhh, those were the days… 🙂 ❤

• Danny James June 21, 2017 / 8:40 am

We were able to get out of our car and go topside. I was always amazed that they could get so many cars on that ferry. Luckily, I don’t recall any capsizing.

11. J Hardy Carroll June 21, 2017 / 7:19 am

Nicely evocative. I don’t know about the bridge, though. There may be a good ferry lobby!