Close Call

This post was written for Sunday Photo Fiction.160-06-june-12th-2016

I knew she was in trouble. The sheets were sweat-soaked; her forehead was clammy and her face felt hot to my touch. She was not moving.

We kept the glucose tester near the bed stand as we did every night for the past few years. I knew how to use it. Her sugar level was 42. Not good. Not good at all. I knew the range by heart. She was almost in a diabetic coma.

The digital clock informed me the time was 4:12 a.m. Even at this hour I was aware to awaken her slowly from her unconsciousness.

With dull eyes she looked at the ceiling. “There are three of them. They are here for me.” She started to scream. Very loudly she screamed while pointing at the ceiling light. “Help me.”

In my near hysteric state I still remember some basic things we had practiced for such an event. The orange juice; get the damn orange juice and make her drink some. And candy bars. Milky ways! Her favorite.

Taking the drink she seemed to recognize me.

I checked her sugar level again and it was up to 56. It was working!

10 thoughts on “Close Call

1. patriciaruthsusan June 19, 2016 / 4:43 am

Great tension in this story, Danny. The details and description were perfect and made the situation very real. Really good writing. I love a happy ending. šŸ™‚ — Suzanne

2. Sunday Fiction June 18, 2016 / 7:43 pm

Knowing some people with diabetes, I can understand the horror behind this. Great story.

3. luckyjc007 June 14, 2016 / 8:17 pm

Great story! A very tense situation and very dangerous. Tragic situations handled the right way can have a positive outcome.

4. jademwong June 14, 2016 / 10:37 am

This was intense to read and captivated me from the first line. I was on edge wondering if you were going to kill her off, and I was relieved at the happy ending šŸ™‚

5. The Voice June 13, 2016 / 8:54 am

What a frightening situation to be in. At least the main character knew what to do and acted, overriding the fear. A well written, tense piece.

6. loisajay June 12, 2016 / 7:37 pm

Had a co-worker whose 5-year old daughter aided her in her near- diabetic coma. It made the local newspaper! They had practiced, also. So scary.

7. Sharon Bonin-Pratt June 12, 2016 / 6:04 pm

The most dangerous thing about a crisis is not to recognize it. The second most dangerous thing is to fail to respond – adequately or on time.
    To recognize and respond is heroic.
    A medal for you.