Summer Weekend

This post is written for Friday Fictioneers. My story follows the picture prompt. Enjoy!

jp3
PHOTO PROMPT – © Jennifer Pendergast

We were just high school kids on summer vacation. Four boys on a weekend canoe trip on the Au Sable River in Michigan.

A race was declared. The first to make it over the rapids without tipping over would be declared the winner. No one thought about the submerged rocks.

The late spring rains had made the river swift and turbulent. We made it through three or four rapids when we realized we were at the mercy of the raging river.

John leaned forward and started his strong stoke but lost his balance and never saw the rock that killed him.

23 thoughts on “Summer Weekend

1. Suzanne Joshi September 15, 2015 / 8:51 pm

Good story, Danny. Young people seem to think their lives are charmed. Sadly, that’s not true. Well done. —— Suzanne

2. gahlearner September 11, 2015 / 3:38 pm

Ouch. Sometimes I wonder how we make it through youth. I’ve always been ‘tame’, but there have been moments where only dumb luck helped. Great story.

3. sustainabilitea September 11, 2015 / 11:53 am

How sad, but all too real. As mentioned above, at that age, there’s not always enough thought given before a grand adventure.

janet

• Danny James September 11, 2015 / 4:54 pm

Sometimes no thought at all is involved.

4. draliman September 11, 2015 / 7:38 am

It’s all about the excitement with no thought to dangers or consequences at that age.

5. ansumani September 10, 2015 / 7:46 pm

Danny, This story needs to come with a warning label for mother of teenage boys. How can I sleep now? On the other hand considering my reaction , your story is very successful in bringing out the horror that lies hidden in everyday events. Nicely crafted.

Liked by 2 people

• Danny James September 10, 2015 / 8:03 pm

Thanks for your comment. Have a good night sleep tonight.

6. Tracey@WhatsforDinnerDoc.com September 10, 2015 / 3:48 pm

My stomach flipped thinking about these boys. My sons probably did equally stupid things and survived. I’m grateful for that. Well written.

• Danny James September 10, 2015 / 8:08 pm

I also did some stupid things like that and survived including canoe races. Luckily none had the ending my story did.

7. Sharon Bonin-Pratt September 9, 2015 / 9:05 pm

Used to live in Michigan and loved canoeing on the Rouge River and the Au Sable. Loved the beauty and serenity of gliding down the river, the fun of rushing over small rapids. The only disturbances were the canoes full of loud, drunken partiers, most quite young (we were young then also,) many of the people toppling dangerously out of the canoes all over the place. The canoes were often overturned, people struggling to right the canoes and get back in. We always wondered that there weren’t more serious accidents causing injury. Every once in while we’d hear about a death, usually a drowning, on the river. Sadly we were never surprised. A hidden rock? All the time, and passengers were unlikely to be attentive. Maybe your readers will be alert when they enter waters for a fun ride. I really hope your story is not based on a factual incident. Poor John. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

• Danny James September 9, 2015 / 9:14 pm

I share many of the same experiences. No it was not a actual incident. Close…I lost my eye glasses in the descriptor event. I spend many a summer on the rivers in the upper lower peninsula. Grayling, Gaylord, Mackinaw City. Camping and canoeing. Lots of memories.

8. Dale September 9, 2015 / 7:01 pm

There was no way this was going to end well, was there? Well done!