Friday Fictioneers — Trouble at the Gate

In response to Rochelle’s Friday Fictioneer Challenge.

three_chairs
Copyright — Melanie Greenwood

Wayne slowly eased his 83-year-old body into the patio chair. A food magazine had described the food at this restaurant as “heavenly.” His friend Alfred occupied one of the other chairs. “Where is Charlie?’

Alfred, already miffed because Wayne was 10 minutes late for their lunch, continued to stare at the menu. He was having a difficult time deciding between the angel food cake or the devil delight. “Said he was having some trouble at the gate.”

Wayne, having already decided on his menu selection, turned around looking for their waiter. “Where is he? What, are we invisible?”

13 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers — Trouble at the Gate

1. rochellewisoff November 2, 2014 / 10:52 am

Dear Danny,

Now there’s an inventive take on the prompt. No doubt they will be drinking Celestial Seasonings tea with their meal choices. πŸ˜‰

Shalom,

Rochelle

• Danny James November 2, 2014 / 11:16 am

Thanks! I was thinking about the Clint Eastwood bit at the last political convention where he was talking to an empty chair.

2. Suzanne Joshi November 1, 2014 / 6:06 am

Danny, Hilarious. πŸ˜€ Nice to know that life in the hereafter is not so different. I liked that part about “trouble at the gate.” Hope Alfred makes it through. πŸ™‚ — Susan

• Danny James November 1, 2014 / 10:43 am

I think he will. He had trouble with the TSA in Atlanta once.

3. Margaret November 1, 2014 / 3:37 am

I’m glad to hear that cafe society and heavenly food are still available beyond the gate. I hope you’re right. Well done. Good ending and just the right amount of hints throughout.

• Danny James November 1, 2014 / 10:44 am

Thanks for catching all the hints. I left of trail of crumbs to follow.

4. wildbilbo October 31, 2014 / 6:17 pm

Ha – very clever, I didn’t see it coming – yet the hints were scattered throughout. Well done.

5. Sandra October 31, 2014 / 7:50 am

I hope the ‘trouble at the gate’ gets happily resolved. πŸ™‚ Nice take.