Low Tide

Thanks for the encouragement of Friday Fictioneers.

seagulls-wicklund

The police said “that it looked similar to cocaine and they probably thought they’d hit the big time.” Nathan stood in front of the TV cameras and pleaded with the burglars: “please return the cremated remains of my sister. She died three years ago.”

The next morning the bullet-riddled corpse of a drug dealer named Hoochie Pevens was found on the beach. The cardboard box was there too; about half of Gertrude’s ashes remained. and there was this note. It said: “Hooche sold us the bogus blow, so we wasted Hoochie. Sorry we snorted your sister. No hard feelings. Have a nice day.”

20 thoughts on “Low Tide

1. joseph elon lillie October 7, 2013 / 3:41 pm

Ick! I cannot imagine this though one time I did have a man aski9ng me for a new Bible because he smoked the first one I had given him.

2. Linda Vernon October 4, 2013 / 2:50 pm

Proving once again what goes around comes around. Great story. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Danny James October 4, 2013 / 3:45 pm

That’s true. Had not though about it that way. Thanks for the comment.

3. sustainabilitea October 3, 2013 / 10:17 am

Nothing like a good laugh to start out the day. We found the cremated remains of a former owner when we bought our first house. We left her when we moved after 28 years but I think the new owners were going to take her to a local mortuary. Needless to say, we did not sniff or inhale. ๐Ÿ™‚

janet

• Danny James October 3, 2013 / 10:54 am

I’m sure there is a story about that. Thanks for the comment.

• waitingforaname October 3, 2013 / 9:59 pm

Let me get this straight, Janet. You KEPT the former owner for 28 years? I suppose it’s better than snorting her, but still…

• sustainabilitea October 3, 2013 / 11:54 pm

My dad wanted us to give her to him but we never got around to it. Maybe she wanted to stay with the house. Someone had tucked her in the attic under the edge of the floorboards, so who knows?

4. rochellewisoff October 3, 2013 / 5:20 am

Dear Danny,

This one left me snorting and laughing. Thanks.

Shalom,

Rochelle

5. dmmacilroy October 3, 2013 / 5:20 am

Dear Danny,

This really happened to my sister. Great job channeling my family history.

Aloha,

Doug

6. Sandra October 3, 2013 / 3:50 am

Urghhh! Though why snorting someone’s ashes should be so much more repulsive than snorting heroin… ๐Ÿ˜ฆ